I've been in Miami for a few days staffing a registration desk at a conference. I agreed to the job assuming we would be able to find inexpensive hotels, but was caught off guard when I looked at the astronomical rates. Since there are two of us sharing a room, we did not have to book the lowest end hotels, but even the mid-tier properties (like Hampton Inn) started in the $150/night range.
Begrudgingly I began making reservations. Ideally we would have stayed in one hotel throughout the conference. It's much easier than having to pack up every day to move to the next hotel. But because rates were ridiculous, that wasn't practical. Right away, I reserved a Sleep Inn for the last two nights at $76 per night (it was full the other nights). That rate was acceptable, it was in a decent location, and the reviews were good.
But for the other 3 nights, rates were simply too high. Originally I booked two nights at a Super 8 in Florida City, which is more than an hour away. The third night I swallowed my pride and reserved a $143+tax room at a Hilton Garden Inn near the airport. I already knew I'd be checking hotels as the event neared to see if rates dropped. As luck would have it, they did.
First two nights:
- Originally $78+tax at Super 8 in Florida City, 88 miles roundtrip each day, plus tolls.
- Replaced first night with Hilton Garden Inn MIA, $142, 26 miles roundtrip, no tolls.
- Rate at Hilton Garden Inn MIA dropped to $130 on 4/2 so I re-booked at lower rate.
- On 4/3, Homewood Suites MIA dropped to $118. I changed hotels.
- Replaced second night with another Hilton property that I mystery shopped: FREE ROOM!
First two nights changed from $156+tax for a lousy Super 8 an hour away to $118+tax for higher end hotels nearby.
- Originally booked at Hilton Garden Inn for $143+tax
- On 4/2, rate dropped to $130, so I re-booked at the lower rate.
- On 4/5, a nearby Hampton Inn reduced rates to $103, so I changed to that hotel.
- Reserved with Enterprise by my house. I used a 10% off coupon and booked a weekly rate. With tax, it was just over $200.
- On 4/2, rates at the Clearwater Airport dropped significantly. It's further away, but by changing my reservation we are saving $80 on our reservation for the same class vehicle.
Bonus Sixth Night:
- We were coming home on the 9th, but I found a second mystery shop.
- Sixth night at a chic boutique hotel in South Beach.
I'm surprised the rates changed so much. I'll have to remember to keep checking the rates next time I go on a trip.ReplyDelete
I sent off for my ticket to the Berkshire Hathaway meeting just in case I'm back from hiking by then.
Is there a specific site you use to check price changes? Or do you just keep rechecking?ReplyDelete
I just keep rechecking where I booked, but also run a search on Expedia to see if other rates are lower.Delete
Considering these circumstances, it is reasonable why a Miami Locksmith administrations 24 hour auto and home emergency benefit is accessible. These things happen, and more regularly than you may might suspect.ReplyDelete
miami to key west by bus
This margin has been creeping higher with many loans containing a margin at 3 points over the Treasury or LIBOR index.guarantor loansReplyDelete