- Sunday night I am mystery shopping a hotel in Atlanta. Right now this is the only hotel I am shopping but there is one more site that could post hotel jobs for July. It's not looking good though.
- I am being reimbursed for another two nights because I am doing a time share mystery shop in Orlando. This shop reimburses mileage for 200 miles, two nights hotel plus it pays a fee, so it will be my most lucrative shop. All I have to do is covertly record a meeting with a time share salesperson.
- We're shopping at least 10 TGI Friday's. These are alcohol compliance shops so the report is very simple: the location either passes or fails and then I answer a few additional questions. I have also signed up for a BBQ restaurant in St. Petersburg for one meal.
- I am taking advantage of Choice Hotels "Two Stays Pays" promotion - twice. For every two stays this summer you earn a $50 gift card. Since there is no minimal stay requirement, I am flipping between two adjacent hotels every night for 4 nights. Sure, it's slightly inconvenient to have to check out every day, but doing so earns me $100 in gift cards. The hotels are less than $50 per night so if I consider the gift cards like cash I am really getting a rate of around $25 per night for each of four nights.
- Unless I find more mystery shops, two of the nights I am redeeming Hilton Honors points. These will be the two "splurge" nights as we are staying at a newer Hilton property.
- I've signed up for 15 gas station shops (no pictures!) which will cover about half of our fuel costs.
In total we will be away for 10 nights and I will be paying for 5 of those nights. My out of pocket expense for hotels will be less than $300 and I earn $100 in gift cards plus more points on the fifth night. The majority of our meals will be mystery shops or free breakfast in the hotels.
This sounds like a lot of work but it isn't. The gas stations only take 10 minutes each, or basically 2 1/2 hours of work. The time share presentation will last from 1-3 hours.