Tuesday, August 30
Monday, August 29
Tuesday, August 23
Monday, August 22
Monday, August 15
Friday, August 12
Thursday, August 11
Wednesday, August 10
Tuesday, August 9
Monday, August 8
- Materials: $248.42 (doesn't include staining or landscaping)
- Time spent digging hole: 40+ hours
- Time spent constructing deck: ~10 hours
Friday, August 5
I decided I should undertake a summer project to keep myself occupied. It was that or move to Tampa. We figured making some improvements to the house we're in now might quell the boredom that makes me want to move. Over the last month whenever I've gathered enough motivation, we've been digging a hole in the ground.
Thursday, August 4
In July my total spending was very close to what it was in June. But, I was a lot more frugal in July. Included in the amount this month is a $500 earnest money check I wrote for the townhouse I am trying to buy (9/5/11 update: I reversed this as I ended up posting $1,000 in earnest money in August). If I end up buying it I will re-categorize the expense. If not, I will post it as income in when it is returned to me. I spent over $400 on new tires which will probably last me the life of the car and includes balance, rotation and road hazard warranty for life. The only other unusual expense was $185 for a prepaid hotel room for our vacation at the end of this month.
$569 Auto ($472 for new tires, $97 for fuel)
$92 Entertainment (movies, gambling, alcohol)
$27 Gifts Given
$115 Interest on Debt (not including Mortgage Interest)
$000 Miscellaneous (earnest money on townhouse - reversed 9/5/11)
$408 Mortgage Interest (primary residence)
$784 Mortgage Interest (rental properties)
$0 Personal Care
Total July Expenses : $2,813
- My food budget was for two people. Just over half was spent in restaurants with the remaining at the grocery store. I mystery shopped a few grocery stores in July which helped lower this expense.
- The $15 in clothing was a result of spending more than the reimbursement amount for some mystery shops. I bought over $100 worth of clothes for just $15!
- The $92 I spent on entertainment was almost entirely from dollar movies and wine.
Wednesday, August 3
$246 Mystery Shopping
$4,221 Rental Income
- I "lost" $620 from my Prosper experiment. That's from deadbeats who didn't pay me back. There's still the possibility that I will receive a few dollars from time to time from recoveries but since it will be minimal I decided to zero out the balance in Quicken.
- My mystery shopping picked up in July but I am waiting on some of the payments. Hopefully that will show up in my August income.
- All my properties are rented. In July I spent money getting the condo ready to rent and also repaired the fascia at one of the townhouses. Nothing major.
Tuesday, August 2
Round Trip airfare : $266.40 (one of the two flights was FREE using airline miles)
Parking at Airport : $0 (our plan is to sweet talk a friend into giving us a ride... otherwise a taxi might be the best bet)
Baggage fees : $0 (gotta love Southwest. Besides, we pack light)
Rental Car for 9 days: $364 (Ford Mustang convertible - sure, it's not the cheapest, but it's a FUN car)
Gasoline : $100
3.5 star Hotel off the Strip : 4 nights for $0 (comp based on the gambling I did in 2010 at the mystery shopping conference)
5 star Resort in Phoenix: 2 nights for $185
2.5 star Boutique Hotel in Vegas: 3 nights for $53
Food : $180 (budgeting $10 each per day for 9 days)
Souvenirs : $20 (we're not big on "stuff" but just in case)
Other uncategorized : $332 (this is my "cushion" for unexpected expenses)
Gambling expenses: $500
Total Budget : $2,000
Monday, August 1
- I have a friend who has agreed to keep the cat, so there won't be any boarding costs.
- I plan to use up everything in the refrigerator and freezer before we leave so that we can leave it unplugged. It goes without saying that the air conditioner will be turned off.
- I'm taking advantage of comps so that some of our hotel stays are free.