Better late than never, right? I had a couple large expenses in August.
- Our washing machine stopped working. It was only about 5 years old, but we used it heavily when we owned the Airbnb. After doing a little research I realized it would probably be better to take what I would have paid to have it repaired and purchase a new one. Florida is having a tax-free holiday on appliances which clinched the deal.
- I also bought a new suitcase. Since I live out of hotels, I decided to research the highest quality luggage companies with the best warranties. I settled on a Monos Carry-On Plus. I had spent a few months looking at Monos, Briggs and Riley, Away and Yeti. Monos was already at the top of the list, then they had a 25% off sale and I pulled the trigger. The brand offers a lifetime warranty, so I plan to use this suitcase for a very long time.
- Food. Once again we spent a bit too much at a couple of restaurants. Considering I was home half the month, our food spending wasn't terrible.
- Spending on clothes was also higher than I want. I've gained all the weight back I lost during the pandemic. Unfortunately, I had thrown out all my old clothes and now have to replace them.
We love adventures. Spending on experiences makes us better humans.
- I prepaid for a Mexican Riviera cruise for 2024. Carnival continues to offer me "free" balcony staterooms and I keep selecting them. They aren't actually free, but very inexpensive: I pay $200, which is refunded onboard as a stateroom credit, plus taxes/fees. I also prepaid gratuities to take advantage of a Chase cashback offer on one of my credit cards.
- I prepaid for a car rental in December.
August Expenses: $4,161
$218 Auto (service, gas, insurance, AAA, etc.)$94 Bank Fees (annual fees on credit cards) income this month
$189 Clothing/ Personal Care
$1,226 Fun (vacations, movies, gambling, alcohol, concert tickets)
$39 Health and Dental
$799 Household/Home Repairs
$150 Unreimbursed Job Expense
($50) Reimbursed Job Expense income this month
$0 Interest Expense
$362 Miscellaneous (cat sitter, gifts)