In 2013 my total spending was $31,945. This was 22% more than my 2012 spending. The increase can be entirely attributed to the cost of using my vehicle for mystery shopping routes:
- I sold the Corolla and replaced it with a scooter. I use it for most of my local driving now. I should note that I was paid $3,000 for the Corolla, which entirely offset the cost of the scooter. While the cost of the scooter is included in my expenses, I did not report the income I received from selling the Corolla.
- I used the S-10 for a cross-country mystery shopping route. It eats gas and also required a number of repairs throughout the year.
- Entertainment Expenses increased by 32%. We saw more movies and I spent more on gambling.
- I cut my Housing Expenses by moving to a smaller home in Florida in August 2012. Housing dropped from 33% of annual spending to less than 22%.
- The cost of utilities declined, but partly because the power company applied my deposit towards the monthly bill for a few months.
- Spending on Medical & Dental increased. Insurance premiums went up and I had to have a root canal retreated.
Spending by Category: 2013 Vs. 2012
|My Expenses: 2013 vs. 2012
In 2014 I plan to reduce my spending to $20,000. It will be a challenge:
- I may consider replacing the S-10 with a more cost-effective car for mystery shopping.
- We will continue the theme of "spend on experiences, not things". I would like to plan an international trip in 2014, so travel expenses will probably increase.